I know its Thursday, but we’re going to church today! We’re going to watch a few short videos covering a sermon entitled “Just Don’t Get Married” by Pastor Ed Young, founding and Senior Pastor of Fellowship Church in Dallas, Texas. His ministry is one of my favorite TV ministries (next time I’m in Dallas I am visiting his church!) and I make sure to tune in often. His show is entitled Ed Young Television and comes on Daystar and ABC Family. If you are interested in more of his ministry be sure to check your local listings and/or check out his sermons on tape. He is also a prolific author who has some amazing books, a few of which are on inviting God into your marriage. If you’re interested you can also find Ed Young on Facebook, Twitter and at his blog.
Check out these videos. I’ve taken some “sermon notes” (I hope you take notes when you are in church too!) that you can refer back to, meditate on and pray over. My hope is that this message will enhance your marriage. If you’re are not married I pray it causes you to really think about marriage on God’s terms before you decide to enter into the marriage covenant. Enjoy!
Sermon Title: Just Don’t Get Married
- MARRIAGE = WORK = WORSHIP
- Colossians 2:23: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.”
- Your work in marriage is a reflection of your worship of God.
- Your worship in marriage (the way you treat your spouse) should reflect the love, grace and gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Romans 12:1: “…in view of God’s mercy, present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship.”
- If marriage is worship then the way we present our bodies to our God in worship in our marriage is through sexual intercourse with our spouse. This is a part of the work that we do to worship God in our marriage.
- Since a marriage = work = worship people should be able to look and see the orbit of your marriage around God. Basically your marriage should reflect the nature/character of God.
- Marriage is the only covenant that reflects the relationship that God has with his people, the Church.
- Marriage is about GIVING respect. Giving respect is counter-cultural. (Refer to video for several examples.)
- Genesis 2:24, 3 important words “BECOMING ONE FLESH.” This goes back to work as we are always striving/working to become one flesh.
- Ephesians 5:33 says, “…each one of you must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.” This does not mean that a woman is beneath man. We are simple equal in form but unique in function according to the Word of God.
- WORK = ORDER = CREATIVITY
- When things don’t feel right in your marriage, you are out of God’s order.
- Within order we have creativity. Revalations 21:5 says, “…I am making everything new!…” Each day in marriage is a day to start anew, a day to create, a day to be creative within marriage. Marriage should be the most creative relationship in the universe because it reflects God (our creative creator). If a marriage reflects God, is should reflect the creativity of God in a way that demonstrate order.
- A marriage requires the Ministry of Reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:11-21 – reference). 2 Corinthians 5:18 says, “All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation.”This is something we as sinners don’t deserve, but God loved us enough to do this for us.
- A marriage that reflects God’s view of reconciliation should cause us (husbands/wives) to QUICKLY forgive our fallen and fallible spouse, just as God forgave/forgives us.
- WORK = RECONCILIATION
- WORK = KNOWLEDGE
- We need information about what marriage is, so we can have application regarding what marriage does!