So as you may already know, I began generating this list of reasons that I married my husband (check out #1-7) because I wanted to remember several years from now, the exact reasons I wanted him to be a part of my life forever. I think its important for us to reflect on the reasons we chose our spouse. That way when we are arguing, going through tough financial times, not making enough time for one another or any of the other number of things that could bring challenges into a marriage, you’ll remember why you said “I do” in the first place. I wanted to challenge myself to think of 365 reasons I married my husband, listing 7 new reasons each week for the next 51 weeks. So here are this weeks’ reasons I married my husband, numbers 8-14. Enjoy!
The reasons I married my husband are…
8. …he allows me to check out of our marriage without making me feel guilty. As a new wife who is still in graduate school I have about 1 week every 6 months when I have to have progress/status reports and meetings with my graduate committee. This is typically very stressful and demanding, causing me to work long hours, writing and analyzing data. My hubby understands my educational goals and acts as my cheerleader doing whatever is necessary to help around the house to take some of the stress off of me. All in all it’s just a week, but he allows me that time to focus 100% on my goals. He realizes that I can become pretty consumed and distracted, but he never complains.
9. …he totally gets my sense of humor. My sense of humor is a cross between totally dorked out and just plain corny. Not everyone gets it, but my hubby does, which makes me feel like he gets “me.”
10. …he has excellent communication skills. Unlike a lot of men that I know, he does not have a problem discussing his feelings.
11. …his fingernails and toenails are always well groomed. I like a man who takes care of himself. It is kind of embarrassing though when he looks down at my feet on occasion and says, “Babe, you’re going to get a pedicure this weekend, right?” Ugh…I admit, I go over a week or two…or three on occasion. In my defense…I’M BUSY!!!
12. …he will drive me around to 3 different McDonald’s just to find one that is open. Usually if we go to a late movie I’m a little hungry afterwards. Since nothing else is usually open he makes it his mission to ensure I have my late night Chicken McNugget fix.
13. …he holds me accountable for my actions. This is one quality about him that I love and hate because it forces me to be a better person and often the bigger person. We don’t always want to hear when we know we’re wrong, but this demonstrates to me that he is concerned and responsible for my spiritual growth and development.
14. …he makes me feel safe. My hubby is the type to make you walk on the inside of the sidewalk. He calls daily to make sure I’ve made it to and from work. I know that even before he took me as his wife he felt totally responsible for my safety and well being. It’s the little things he does like killing my spiders or cleaning up broken glass, even if I’m the one who dropped it, that make me feel secure.
Next week. I’m going to ask my readers to participate in the 365 Reasons I Married My Husband posts. I’ll ask you to do some fun activities and then blog all about it. Stay tuned…until next time.