365 Reasons I Married My Husband (Numbers 1-7)

On Friday I had my wisdom teeth removed. Since then I have spent a lot of time on the couch zoning in and out of consciousness due to some very nice prescription drugs (thanks Doc!). While I was having a moment of consciousness I realized that the television was on. I can’t remember what I was watching, but I do remember the conversation that took place between the characters on the show, movie or whatever it was that was on. There was a younger woman and she was sitting at the kitchen table with an older lady. The younger lady was asking the older lady about marriage. I guess the older lady was having a particularly discouraging day because she told the younger lady, “Honey, there will be times years after you’re married when you just sit there and look at your husband from across the room and think to yourself, why in the world did I marry this man?” The younger lady looked really discouraged after this and you could tell she was questioning whether marriage was the right thing for her. I couldn’t help but to think how sad that whole thing was. I mean this lady and her husband had obviously been married for a very long time and she had days where she actually couldn’t come up with ONE reason that she married her husband? Now I imagine they must have had some difficult times, what couple doesn’t? I imagine that they probably had fights now and then or even struggled with keeping the spark in their marriage, but what couple doesn’t? I was simply baffled that after all of the years this couple was married, she couldn’t think of even ONE reason that she married her husband.

When my husband and I got engaged we went to Christian premarital counseling. Our first homework assignment was to write letters to each other explaining why we want to marry the other and why the other should marry us. This was a very eye opening exercise that did two things: 1. encouraged communication between us as a couple and 2. gave us something to look back on when times got hard. I have decided to take it a step further because my marriage is the single most important thing that I have going on my life. It is the one relationship that I have that is closer than any friend, any family member or any anybody. We aspire to keep this relationship only second to the one we have with Christ. So, that I do not find myself 50 years old, talking to my daughter in the kitchen and telling her that I cannot think of a single reason that I married her father I am starting this list. Each week for the next 52 weeks I will highlight 7 reasons that I married my husband. When times get hard, when we are arguing, when I can barely stand to look him in the face because he’s made me so angry, I vow to go back to this list and remember all of the reasons that I decided that spending the rest of my life with this man would be the second most important, life changing, and life affirming decision that I have ever made.

So here is my list of the first 7 reasons my heart is completely in my hubby’s hands. The reasons I married my husband are…:

1. …he has a relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I wanted a partner with whom I could be equally yoked. We both take our spirituality very seriously. Since this is such an important part of my life, I needed this to be an important part of my husband’s life as well.
  2. …I respect him. My husband carries himself in such a way that commands respect. It’s obvious in the things that he says and does. Even friends and family have remarked on what a respectful and respectable young man he is.
  3. …he opens the car door for me EVERY time I get in. His manners are a SERIOUS turn on.
  4. …he makes me feel beautiful. My hubby is constantly flirting with me, although not always at the most appropriate times…I still appreciate it.
  5. …he is very responsible with money. It is important to know whether you are marrying a spender or a saver. I can trust that all of our bills will be paid on time and that he never takes on more financially that we can handle. He is excellent at this job, which makes me feel completely confident in the way he handles the ¬†finances.
  6. …he is dependable. My husband has always been a man of his word. When he says he will do something, he does it. He has yet to break a promise that he has made to me.
  7. …he is my best friend. I can tell my hubby anything and he’ll be there to share in my joy and my sadness. He is the keeper of my secrets and one of my favorite shopping buddies.
This entry was posted in 365 Reasons I Married My Husband and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to 365 Reasons I Married My Husband (Numbers 1-7)

1. The Professor says:

Awwww…*chuckle* Get well soon, Sci

Oh…and 52*7=365 so week 52 needs 8 reasons. :P

2. The Professor says:

52*7=364 oops…

3. Mrs_Mommy_MD says:

This is a great idea that I might need to steal (with permission, of course…LOL)

One Valentine's Day I wrote him 106 reasons why I loved him and made a craft out of it with our pictures, and he was floored…I could tell he was really touched from the thought of me actually having those many reasons I loved him haha, so I know this would be a morale boost for both of us when we're having "just one of those days…" LOL
    My recent post Wordless Wednesday

4. The Student says:

Wow! That's really sweet. Did you blog about it? I'd love to see the craft. Was it big? How did you keep it from him until it was time???
    My recent post 365 Reasons I Married My Husband Numbers 1-7

• Mrs_Mommy_MD says:

No I wasn't blogging yet (This was the Valentine's day right before we got married), so it was easy to keep it under wraps :-)

The craft part wasn't super intense (I am not "crafty" by any means…more powerpoint skills than anything else LOL), I took an old picture of us when we first started dating and faded it in a photo editing program and then made that they background for the list…It wasn't big at all just the size of a regular computer paper sheet – but it had to be two pages since it was so long, now that I am thinking of it, a cute frame would have been a nice touch too…I will take a pic of it for you!
      My recent post Wordless Wednesday

5. ManWifeDog says:

Sniff…sniff…these are SO adorable. I will most certainly be following this list Jocelyn. (Wish I'd married someone good with money. We're BOTH terrible!) He is my best friend though. HUGE plus!
    My recent post VLOG- The Man Explains Why Men Fear Your Purse Hilarious!

• The Student says:

But you married your best friend!!! That's going to get your further than money will any day. Best friends don't care if you're broke or rich. The just love you for who you are. That is the component of your marriage that you have to see as priceless!!!

6. simplykita says:

This is great the hubby and I are going through some changes and we are going to try this to see if this will work because we are in some serious trouble. Thanks for the advice and for always keeping things in perspective.

• The Student says:

I pray you guys can work through your challenges. Its never to late to mutually decide to fight for your marriage. I'm praying peace in your home and in your marriage.

7. larsinnh says:

Feel better soon! Great list.

8. TheProDiva says:

This is really sweet! I think its healthy for your marriage to revisit those things that you love about your hubby…I do it all the time! I look forward to reading for the next 51 weeks!

9. How wonderfully sweet! #CommentHour
    My recent post SimplyInspired Giveaway!

10. Ginger says:

Great post! I can definitely say that I married my best friend too!

11. Congrats on being featured! This is a great post idea.. Sometimes, I forget the reasons and this is a great way to remember. =) #commenthour
    My recent post Phone Calls

12. Karolina says:

Visiting from comment hour. I love this post, and think it's so important to tell ourselves the reasons why…otherwise it can be easy to forget amidst the hectic lives we lead.

13. Branson says:

I love, love this idea! And can I just say you have the best social networking icons! Too clever!

14. Your lists will help you during the down times…and there will be down times. 34 years of marriage for me this year. Been there, done that. :)
    My recent post Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

• The Student says:

Exactly! That's exactly why I started this list. Every person needs a lot of reasons that they married their spouse…can't just have one. Sometimes love is not enough.

15. Jessica says:

This really is such a sweet idea. It would be a great meme!
    My recent post What Does Your Letter Say

16. n0ellee says:

I'm visiting from comment hour too! I really love your blog! I'll be back!
    My recent post Book Review- Creative inc

17. Jennifer says:

Aww, what a great husband. Hope you feel better soon! #commenthour

18. What a great idea! I look forward to seeing the rest of your reasons. Your husband sounds like a keeper :) #CommentHour
    My recent post Wordless-Wordful Wednesday – Ice Blanded

19. Oh, I think it's good to do this! A few months ago, I asked my husband to email me a list of thins he loves about me. We were arguing then, and that ended the fight! ;)

Visiting from #commenthour. :)
    My recent post Undefeated

• The Student says:

I always say a soft answer turns away wrath. When you can still think of all the reasons why you love your spouse even when you want to pop their head off of their neck…that's true love! LOL!

20. What wonderful reasons! My husband is my closest friend too.

21. @mellisarock says:

This is such a thought provoking post…makes me want to make a list of my own!! Love that one about manners!!
    My recent post Cheerios – Staple in my House for 10 Years

22. Rene W. says:

What a great idea!!! Love your blog… Following via #CommentHour

23. paperartscene says:

What a beautiful post about marriage! I agree, I think God is the glue in marriage and is very important.

Visiting from CommentHour.

24. Queen J. says:

Awww. That was such a beautiful post. I knew when I read your twitter bio I would love your blog. I couldn’t have found it in a better time in my life. I admire you so much! I have big dreams about the day I will finally get married. I will be looking around & taking notes. God Bless you guys! <3

• The Student says:

Thank you and thanks for stopping by! I would encourage you to not focus so much on the day you get married as the days after you are married. Its the marriage that takes hard work and planning, not the wedding. God bless you too!

25. I love this idea!! I already do this kinda. I will say at least 4x a week "That's why I married you!" to my husband. It reminds us why I love him and why I am so blessed to have him in my life. I also wrote a list before we married why I wanted to marry him so I could re-read it on tough days.

• The Student says:

Awesome. Its important to me to let my husband know as much as I can that he is respected, appreciated and loved. Keep up the good work!

26. I can't wait to see the rest of your listings, as I think it's incredibly inspiring and thoughtful for all married women to do for the exact reasons you've already written: so you are reminded why each and every day you chose to spend the rest of your life with the man who loves you most.

visiting from #commenthour

27. Annissa says:

What a great and interesting exercise :) Just last night, my husband and I were talking about highschool for some reason (we didn't go to highschool together) … and he made some comment about how (in his head) he figured guys looked at me like *that* all the time in highschool…. and I said that no one ever looked at me like that… and he was literally shocked. He says "why?" and I told him… I was painfully shy. He laughed and said "what changed" … and I said "nothing, I'm still painfully shy" .. he says "you aren't as shy as you think you are" … and then goes into the this rant about how "beautiful" I am and man… those moments feel so good :)

Stopping by via Comment Hour :D
    My recent post Wordless Wednesday take Two Mr Nathan

• The Student says:

What a sweetie! I hope he continues to use words of affirmation to show you how much he loves you. Sounds like this is your love language.

28. attorney2be says:

This is great! While I'm not married, the first 7 of your reasons have me in love. LOL. I can't believe there is 358 more. When God made your hubby, he must have broke the mold. I guess now I know why I can't find the man of my dreams. God put everything into your hubby. :-)
    My recent post God dont bless mess

• The Student says:

Not true, not true. Although I think my husband is an incredible human being, God by far is not finished molding him. I believe the man of your dreams is out there. Just pray for him. Don't pray for him to come, but pray for him as a man of God. Pray that God is molding and shaping the man that is to become your husband long before you even meet him. Pray that when he is revealed to you, your eyes will be so open to the man that God has designed for you that there is no denying it. Pray for yourself too. Pray that you will continue to grow in your faith. Pray that when God sends you the man of your dreams, you'll be ready to receive him with open arms, left behind baggage and an open heart. He is out there.

29. Mimzy Wimzy says:

This is so sweet. I put little notes in my Hubby's lunch box every day for work telling him I love him. It makes the guys in the office a little sick to their stomachs {or just jealous} but he saves EVERY note!!

• The Student says:

Awwwwwe! That's so sweet. I think you're right…his coworkers are jealous. Keep up the good work wife! Keep doing the things that affirm you husband and demonstrate love the way he perceives it.

30. June says:

Great post Jocelyn! I can't imagine my life without my husband, as cliche as it sounds, he completes who I am. Without him, I'm not me… I'm lost. To have found that someone who makes me feel this way makes me realize how lucky I am. There are reasons for everything so to not be able to find just 1 reason why you married someone is just an excuse. I have heard women tell youngin's getting married or in relationships similar things… why do they do this? I find that most people SETTLE for the man that they wind up marrying, and in turn they wind up a bit disappointed down the line. One should never settle. I think our generation is finding that to be true and that's why ppl are waiting to get married and commit themselves to 1 person.
    #commenthour
    My recent post Craving satisfied

• The Student says:

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I don't think that's cliche at all. I believe that God wants us to be in love with our spouse. I certainly agree with you about women settling…especially some of the older (50 and above) women that I know personally. Its quite sad. I don't know why this is. The good think though, is even though they may not be completely happy in their marriages, I was able to learn from their example. I decided for myself that this is not how my marriage has to be. I will keep looking for the best qualities in my hubby each and every day. I am determined to have a "til death" marriage if it kills me…and someday it will. :) Good luck with your pregnancy. Two babies! How exciting. Show those babies that marriage can be amazing!

31. This is such a great idea! I "found" your blog thanks to #commenthour and I am glad I did! I am also a Christian Wife who in her vows promised to love and respect my husband. As a wedding gift our pastor gave us the Book "Love and Respect" and it has really opened our eyes and allowed us to be better partners.
    I am now a follower and I can't wait to hear more from your blog!
    Blessings
    Heather AKA The StepMOMster

• The Student says:

I have that book on my book shelf right now. It is a great read and has been so helpful for us as well. Come back whenever you'd like!!!

32. Katy says:

oh so sweet! and a great idea!!

stopping by from the #commenthour! http://grabenandgabi.blogspot.com
    My recent post Wordless Wednesday

33. Cheray Gardison says:

I love this, too. This is very encouraging to see that marriages are encouraged.

Be blessed…

34. Sadi says:

I know I am late, but I found you!!!! Better late than never. I happened to click on your link over at Martini Chronicles. I absolutely love this!!! I will be reading from now on!!!!
    My recent post The Picture Wall

35. Jerry Stumpf says:

This is a great idea. Several years ago we exchanged 25 reasons I love her and 25 reasons I respect him. They still hang on our refrigerator for all our visitors to see.

I look forward to seeing the rest of your list —

The Best Is Yet To Be!!! – Jerry

36. This is a fantastic post and one I can totally relate to. Each year on my anniversary I like to write the reasons why I still love my wife. This year being our 16th anniversary I wrote 16 reasons why. Here they are: http://www.oneextraordinarymarriage.com/16-reason….

I hope you enjoy them.

37. Tour French says:

These are the best reasons ever i seen on the net, but all wifes should also treat them as usual. If a Wife wants to travel or gget or need money then she should also look for the budget and support him. According to Latest America news most people are'nt enjoying their life and getting out each other.
    My recent post Top 5 Hotels in Corsica

38. barbara says:

Thanks to PROPHET ABAYATOR, after reading the post of Emilly, Dickson,Dave and Anderson,about how PROPHET ABAYATOR help them get back their job ,Lover,wife and winning of court case, I quickly wrote him and explained how Scott abandoned me on May 14th for another lady, PROPHET ABAYATOR said I should not worry anymore and he assured me he's gonna be back to me in 48hrs if he could get some items in the voodoo market to cast the spell and I also further testified from other people he had help whom advised me he was real, I waited patiently and he got back to me after he got the items .The Next day at 7pm Scott came to my door step and knelt down, I open the door and I was shocked so I let him in and he said he will never ignore me again, we had sex that night, I was so happy and tried telling PROPHET ABAYATOR about this success but he said all he wanted was for me to share the testimony and let people know how real this is, People all over the world PROPHET ABAYATOR is someone I can recommend and testify, am a living witness of this. You can contact him via email for any kind of spell.ajamugashrine@gmail.com.